The Minnesota Valley Humane Society is a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. We offer our services to Dakota and Scott Counties and all surrounding areas. MVHS has been serving the people and animals of the Minnesota Valley since 1981.
Our mission is to prevent and alleviate animal suffering through adoption, education, and community outreach; to support the enforcement of animal welfare laws; and to strengthen the human/animal bond.
All volunteers are required to make a six-month commitment to the Minnesota Valley Humane Society. During those six months, a volunteer must commit to two visits a month. Schedules are required for some positions — but not all. Dog Walkers can volunteer on a drop-in basis. We do not accept any Community Service volunteers.
Students age fourteen through seventeen join our Junior Volunteer Program. Juniors can walk MVHS dogs and assist at special events. We can not accept anyone younger than fourteen or anyone who has not completed eighth grade.
HOW TO GET STARTED
The first step in becoming a volunteer is to attend a Prospective Volunteer Information Meeting. These meetings are held once a month. Reservations are required. To reserve your spot, call MVHS at 952-894-5000.
A few of our volunteer opportunities:
- Dog Walkers
- Help dogs get adopted by giving routine exercise and human interaction. Dog walkers can also participate in obedience classes and bathe and brush dogs.
- Care for special needs MVHS animals in your home. We will provide all supplies, you provide the time and love.
- Front/Adoption Area
- Greet visitors and answer the phones. Assist customers with the MVHS adoption process by removing animals from their kennel and answering questions (volunteers do not handle money).
- FELINE FORCE and CANINE CREW (Cat & Dog Adoption Counselors)
- Greet visitors and help them choose the correct cat or dog for them. Answer questions and help the staff with the adoption process.
- Pet Visitation
- Visit care facilities, nursing homes, and special events with your well-mannered pet!
- Surrender Area
- Receive animals that are surrendered to MVHS. Help animals get adopted by obtaining as much information as possible about the animal’s history.
What it’s like to work at the Surrender Desk.
Surround Yourself With Love — Become a MVHS Volunteer!
Please call 894-5000 or send email for more information on volunteering at MVHS.